MAINTENANCE AND UPDATE NATIONAL TOPOGRAPHIC DATA BASE IN HIGH FREQENCY USING MODERN PROCEDURES AND TECHNIQUES
- Survey of Israel, Lincoln 1, Tel-Aviv, 61141, Israel
Keywords: Mapping standards, National Mapping and Cadastral (NMCA), National Topographic Data Base, DSM, DTM, Quality control, Data fusion, Change detection
Abstract. The state of Israel is a small country, in terms of area, with one the higher population growth rate among all the OECD countries. Hence, each year more than 50,000 housing units built and more than 1,500 km roads constructed in average, each year along the last decade.
The Survey of Israel )SOI( is a National Mapping and Cadastral agency (NMCA) that holds the responsibility to update, maintain and disseminate the National Topographic Data Base (NTDB) to all of the governmental offices and municipalities, to utilize, plan and promote the construction of the public needs.
Today, the reality is dynamic and the changes occurs every day, therefore, the users expect that the existing database will portray the current reality as possible. In order to address the user's requirements for rapid updating rate, the Survey of Israel promote a new and modern initiatives, including:
- Promote the cooperation and working relationship with the municipalities to rapidly update the streets, address and POI’s.
- Data Fusion from different governmental and municipalities data sources.
- Developing change detection techniques to update the buildings and roads layers.
- Developing new frameworks for the manual inspection and QA/QC procedures.
- Developing automatic tools to update the height component via high resolution DSM and DTM (50cm GSD).
- Disseminate quarterly the NTDB products to the users.
- Develop a modern processes management system for the update and QA workflow
In this article, we will demonstrate the initiatives and techniques that improved our NTDB updating rate to less than a year and a half in a national average.