MAPPING AND MONITORING GROUND INSTABILITIES WITH SENTINEL-1 DATA: THE EXPERIENCE OF SERNAGEOMIN
- 1Unidad de teledetección, Departamento de Geomática. Servicio Nacional de Geología y Minería (Sernageomin), Santiago de Chile, RM, Chile
- 2Centre Tecnològic de Telecomunicacions de Catalaunya, Av. Carl Friedrich Gauss, 4, Castelldefels, Spain
- 3Superintendencia del Medio Ambiente. Santiago de Chile, RM, Chile
- 4School of Geomatics and Marine Information, Jiangsu Ocean University, Av. Cangwu 59, Lianyungang, China
- 5Department of Earth Sciences, Section of Geophysics, University of Milan, Via Cicognara, 7, I-20129, Milan, Italy
Keywords: Active geohazards, SAR interferometry, Sentinel-1, geohazard prevention
Abstract. The application of Satellite Differential SAR interferometry (DInSAR) has become a reliable solution as a tool for mapping and monitoring geohazards. Few years ago, the main applications of these techniques were devoted to science. However, nowadays, the easy access to SAR imagery and the maturity of the techniques to exploit these type of data has widened the user’s spectrum from only scientists to professional and decision makers. The advent of Sentinel-1 satellites has significantly contributed to this achievement. In particular, in the field of geohazard risk management, Sentinel-1 has solved one of the main constraining factors that hindered the operational use of interferometric techniques in the past: the lack of systematic acquisition plans. In this context, Sentinel-1 assures worldwide coverage with short temporal baselines (6 to 24 days). This has supposed a definitive step towards the implementation of DInSAR based techniques to support decision makers against geohazards. In this work, we show the first experiences of the remote sensing unit of the Geological and Mining Survey of Chile (Sernageomin) with Sentinel-1 data. Three different case studies in different areas of the Chilean territory are presented. The examples illustrate how DInSAR based techniques can provide different levels of information about geohazard activity in different environments.