A NOVEL METHOD OF CLOUD AND SHADOW EXTRACTION WITH MULTI-TEMPORAL LANDSAT8 OLI IMAGES
- 1Institute of Remote Sensing and Digital Earth, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
- 2Key Laboratory of Spatial Data Mining & Information Sharing of Ministry of Education, Spatial Information Research Center of Fujian Province, Fuzhou University, Fuzhou, China
- 3University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
- 4Key Laboratory of Earth Observation Hainan Province, Sanya, China
- 5Sanya Institute of Remote Sensing, Sanya, China
Keywords: Cloud, Shadow, Brightness difference, Multi-temporal, Landsat\OLI
Abstract. Cloud and Shadow removal is a significant step in remote sensing image process. As we all know, the ground object coverage type of the same area of the remote sensing image has little change in the short term. But for cloud and shadow coverage areas, the ground object coverage type has large change. Therefore, according to the difference between the two Landsat / OLI images caused by changes in the cover, this paper presents a method of extracting clouds and shadows based on differences in luminance values. This method selects two thresholds for the difference of brightness values, and extracts the clouds and shadows respectively, and validates them with random point method, which can obtain high precision of extracting cloud and shadow and satisfy the actual application needs.