BUNKERS OF THE SPANISH WAR: FROM THE REARGUARD TO THE TECHNICAL CULTURE OF THE INTER-WAR PERIOD. THE CASE OF CLOT DE GALVANY
- 1DEGCP, Department of Graphic Expression, Theory and Projects, Higher Polytechnic School, University of Alicante, Spain
- 2University Institute of Geography, University of Alicante, Spain
Abstract. During the Spanish Civil War (1936–39) the Second Republic ordered to build, from the end of 1937, a series of military structures to protect the cities located on the Mediterranean coast from a hypothetical landing or air incursions of the national side. This set of defenses was organized in two lines: coastal and antiaircraft detachments on top of hills and bunkers on the coast. In this work we proceed to the drawing of the bunker CG-bk04.elc, located in Clot de Galvany (Elche), 8 km south of Alicante, next to Carabassí beach, whose shape and dimensions are relevant enough, and its state of repair is quite good. This bunker is part of a larger group with a total of ten bunkers (of which eight still stand) that tried to prevent the advance of the enemy. The exterior drawing has been done by photogrammetry and the interior one manually, due to the small dimensions of its spaces. This work is included in a larger plan to document all these defences that are part of our technical and material legacy, as real ruins of the first modern concrete architecture, since the original designs of these bunkers were lost at the end of the conflict and nothing remains in the Army archives about them.